The Director of Mountain Operations & Risk Management provides leadership, management, and direction for all summer and winter Mountain Operations at Snow King Mountain Resort, located in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The successful candidate enjoys “pitching in” whenever and wherever assistance is needed. They will work long hours, have exceptional communication skills, and know how to create a team environment. to read the full job description, visit www.snowkingmountain.com/jobs.
The Director of Mountain Operations & Risk Management provides leadership, management, and direction for all summer and winter Mountain Operations at Snow King Mountain Resort, located in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The Director of Mountain Operations and Risk Management will report to the General Manager and work alongside the Senior Management Team in developing and executing company initiatives.
This role is responsible for ensuring the overall success of Snow King Mountain associated with the following:
- Accountability for executing daily mountain operations.
- Safety and risk management programs.
- Employee hiring and staff development.
- Managing financial results in accordance with budget requirements.
- Compliance with all governmental regulations ensuring that safety is paramount across our resort’s year-round operations for both staff and guests.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for overall Mountain Operations including the following departments; Lift Operations, Coaster Operations, Zip-Line Operations, Adventure Course Operations, Alpine Slide Operations, Summer Attraction Operations, Tube Park Operations, Lift Maintenance, Snowmaking, Grooming, Terrain Parks, Trail Maintenance, and special Events.
- Enjoys “pitching in” whenever and wherever assistance is needed. Conducts and shows a high level of professionalism. Values our safety culture, our community, and ensures that guests and employees have a fun, safe, and memorable experience.
- Oversee the management and administration of operations to produce exceptional guest and employee experiences.
- Develop and maintain company policies and procedures regarding guidelines established by regulatory agencies and best practices in the ski resort industry. Assist and produce direct reports with budgetary responsibilities as necessary.
- Attend and actively participate in all senior team, leadership meetings, operational meetings, and required company functions.
- Communicate information to all Mountain Operations staff to ensure the proper distribution of resort activities and general information.
- Responsible for overseeing and participating in the hiring and training for all employees to ensure a professional on mountain team is developed.
- Evaluate performance of all staff members regularly, including disciplinary action as needed.
- Complete proper paperwork and reporting as required by operations, human resources and legal regulations are done in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensure the ski lifts and activities are being maintained and operated in accordance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Handle all customer and miscellaneous situations in a professional and timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
*This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job
Skills and Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties:
- Have excellent communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Extensive knowledge of ski area operations, hand tools, power tools, and heavy equipment.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a high level of accuracy and courtesy.
- Must meet criminal background standards.
- Attention to detail.
- Knowledge of electrical and mechanical skills.
- Must maintain a well-groomed and professional appearance.
- Must enjoy serving people and having fun!
- Must display top notch customer service skills.
- Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.)
- Minimum of five years’ experience in ski area operations or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a leadership role
- Ideally 10 years’ experience in a leadership role in mountain operations.
- Certificates, Licenses, and Registration:
- Knowledge of updated B77 ANSI codes.
This position is based on the mountain, it will require early mornings and very long days. The successful candidate is expected to be present regularly on the mountain supervising mountain operations staff.
- Working in a variety of outdoor conditions with extreme temperature changes.
- Long hours on occasion.
- This position will be required to work weekends regularly and holidays.
- Telephones, PC, multiple software programs
- Snow removal equipment
- Heavy equipment