The Snow King Observatory and Planetarium Director provide leadership, management, and direction for all operations associated with the Snow King Observatory and Planetarium due to be completed in Fall 2023. This unique facility is a for-profit, public outreach, educational facility with a first-class one-meter Planewave telescope, 24-foot AstroHaven Dome, 8-meter Sptiz Planetarium Dome, 45-person classroom/theater, and educational gallery. The facility is located 8,000 ft atop the Snow King Mountain Resort in Jackson, Wyoming, with amazing views of the Teton mountain range. It is accessed via a short gondola ride. The Director of this facility may serve multiple functions, including public educator, researcher, facility operator, and staff educator. The facility is anticipated to host events ranging from school class visits, corporate gatherings, and astronomers doing research to normal public educational operations.
Snow King Mountain seeks an exceptional, well-rounded individual with a passion for astronomy, experience managing observatory and/or planetarium operations, and a love for educating, entertaining, and interacting with the general public. This position will report to the President of the resort and will work alongside the Senior Management Team in developing and executing resort initiatives. The position is anticipated to also report to the Snow King Mountain Resort Board Chairman.
This position is responsible for ensuring the overall success of the Snow King Mountain Observatory and Planetarium, including the following:
- Operation and oversight of the one-meter Planewave Telescope and associated equipment.
- Astrophotography, remote telescope rental operations, and astronomy research programs.
- Planetarium operations.
- Public educational programs, tours, event space rentals, and school visits.
- Employee hiring and staff training/development.
- Managing financial results by budget requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for overall Planetarium and Observatory operations, including special events, coordination with lift operations and mountain operations, custodial operations, care and maintenance for Telescope/Dome/Planetarium, guest service, product sales and ticketing, retail sales, research efforts, leasing of telescope time, astrophotography programs, business growth, school programs, and all other components of managing the facility.
- Responsible for overseeing and participating in hiring and training for all Observatory and Planetarium employees to ensure a professional team is developed.
- Enjoys pitching in; whenever and wherever assistance is needed. Conducts and shows a high level of professionalism. Values our safety culture and community and ensures that guests and employees have a fun, safe, and memorable experience.
- Has a passion for interacting with the public and serving as an educator in the field of astronomy.
- Oversee the management and administration of Observatory and Planetarium operations to produce exceptional guest and employee experiences.
- Develop and maintain company policies and procedures regarding guidelines established by regulatory agencies and best practices in the industry. Assist and produce direct reports with budgetary responsibilities as necessary.
- Attend and actively participate in all senior team, leadership meetings, operational meetings, and required company functions.
- Evaluate the performance of all staff members regularly, including disciplinary action as needed.
- Complete proper paperwork and reporting as required by operations, human resources, and legal regulations are done promptly and accurately.
- Ensure facilities are being maintained and operated per applicable rules and regulations and kept clean and presentable daily.
- Handle all customer and miscellaneous situations in a professional and timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Skills and Qualifications
- Passion for astronomy.
- Extensive knowledge of Observatory and Planetarium Operations.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a high level of accuracy and courtesy.
- Must maintain a well-groomed and professional appearance.
- Must enjoy serving people and having fun!
- Must display top-notch customer service skills.
- Have excellent communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree, Ph.D., or equivalent education and work experience combination.
- Minimum of five years experience in the field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in a leadership role
This position is at the Snow King Observatory and Planetarium in Jackson, Wy.
- It will require early mornings / late nights and very long days.
- The position is expected to be present regularly, supervising Planetarium and Observatory operations and minimizing staffing expenses.
- Working in a variety of outdoor conditions with extreme temperature changes.
- Long hours on occasion.
- This position will be required to work weekends regularly and holidays.
- Time off during off-seasons.
- Telephones, PC, multiple software programs
- Planewave Telescope hardware and software
- Planetarium hardware and software
- Classroom AV equipment
A competitive salary will be paid based on experience.